Wednesday, December 20, 2006

So sad....


Here are some excerpts from an article about premarital sex in America~

"NEW YORK - More than nine out of 10 Americans, men and women alike, have had premarital sex, according to a new study. The high rates extend even to women born in the 1940s, challenging perceptions that people were more chaste in the past.
“This is reality-check research,” said the study’s author, Lawrence Finer. “Premarital sex is normal behavior for the vast majority of Americans, and has been for decades.”

"According to Finer’s analysis, 99 percent of the respondents had had sex by age 44, and 95 percent had done so before marriage.
Even among a subgroup of those who abstained from sex until at least age 20, four-fifths had had premarital sex by age 44, the study found."


The part that gets me is when Finer says that premarital sex is "normal behavior" for Americans. I disagree, it may be common, it may be typical, but it is not normal and it is not ok. Later in the article he argues about how pointless abstinence education is. I was overcome with an intense sadness as I read this article and saw the way that men have distorted something given to us by God as a way to worship him. I know it sounds weird to say that sex is a form of worship, but it is. As God intended it, between a married couple, it is most definitely a form of worship.

American society is teaching us that it is ok to seek pleasure in whatever way suits you and in doing so it has distorted God's gift to married couples. I won't continue to ramble, I'll just say that this is just another area of my life where I see God's goodness in keeping me pure and spotless for my future husband, (who I now have a name for :) Nate.

1 comment:

Sarah D said...

Amen, sister! I saw that today too, and I was equally ticked off.