Thursday, March 15, 2007

MADNESS!!!


It's that time again boys and girls.... the time of year when you can turn on the tv Thursday-Sunday and there is ALWAYS a game on. The time of year when you get to see 18-22 yr old men reduced to tears by a win or a loss. You get to see dreams come true and hearts be broken. You get to see that for some teams winning would be nice, but just making it to the dance is the realizations of so many dreams. It's the time of year when the outcome of a basketball game can often feel like life or death itself. It is the BEST time of the year hands down. You know what makes it even better? Having your team in the tourney :)

The Ags were placed as a number 3 seed in the South division of the tournament this year. To any of you who know A&M's history with basketball, this is the highest seed ever. Last year was our first bid (#12 seed) in 20 years. I cried when we defeated Syracuse and when it came down to the wire against LSU in the second round. I was overwhelmed with pride for our boys just for advancing to round 2. Obviously this year they are expected to win, although they face a possible tough 2nd round playing Louisville in Kentucky (how did Louisville pull that off?)

Their first game is today at 2 pm. I, along with most of my Aggie coworkers and my brother, are leaving work at 1:45 to go home and watch as I would be useless if I tried to work during that time anyway. I sit here in my college uniform of jeans and an Aggie shirt and I cannot wait to watch the Ags take on Penn. The school means so much to me... my experiences there were AMAZING... and this team is filled with player that I watched mature during my college years from 0-16 and last in the big 12 to 2nd in the big 12 in a matter of 3 years. The year after they were 0-16 is when Gillispie came to A&M bringing the then Freshmen to the NIT as sophomores, the dance as Juniors and now back to the dance as Seniors as a 3 seed after spending the majority of the season ranked 6th-8th in the nation.

Before I get too into this, let me just end with this~ Gig 'em Aggies! :)

6 comments:

Ulovebeth said...

Okay, this could be the only time in history I will cheer for Louisville. ;)
Watch out for Pitino. He's a slick New Yorker who betrayed UK by joining Louisville. I guess we've kind of forgiven him now.
Just imagine an Aggie coach switching to UT. That's what it was like. Not happy.
Louisville is quick. And Pitino is famous for training his teams to have a good press and to hit 3's like magic.
Let the games begin!!

Abby said...

Why you gotta talk smack when all I am doing is supporting my team? Who, by the way, have the best 3pt team in the nation and also have the best defense in the nation against the 3.... good combo :P

Anonymous said...

"It’s not hard to tell whose daughter she is!" That's the response I got from my Irish buddy here (who is raising 4 daughters) after I copied your blog and emailed it to Victor (NC State) and him. Here's the email leader I sent over your entry, "I thought you might appreciate this entry from my daughter’s blog today, proof positive that it is possible raise a young lady without raising a sissy.".....Gig em Aggs!

Ulovebeth said...

Well, I'm just tossing up a warning of what to look for in Pitino's team.
IF you all make it to Lexington and don't get March Madness jitters, you might not have to worry about a huge cheering section for Louisville if the game is played in Lexington. There's history there. That's all I'm saying.

Abby said...

We're already in Lexington. The blog says that it'll be a tough game if we both get there. Also, Ags travel pretty well... there may be a few more there than people expect.

Dad- I'm like the son you never had.. oh wait :P

Jen said...

We went the the beach today- oops! But I think we're having a Sat. game watching party... I'll fill ya in on the details!