Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Running on Empty, Walking on Full

Soooo, awhile ago I announced that I was going to be doing a half marathon in January. I was really excited to get going on my training and then.... surgery. An ingrown toenail. Bad news~ I couldn't run. Good news~ I couldn't run... it was July and August and super hot. Anyhoo, I picked up my training again about a month ago and even as I continued to run and push myself, I saw very little improvement. I was having dizzy spells that were making it hard to run in a straight line or even stay on my feet. I also got a little present when the cool weather moved in...a mini asthma attack. My first one in 12 years. All things considered, I decided to throw in the towel.

And then a revelation. My dad asked me "What pace do you have to keep again?". I answered "a 16 minute mile." and he said "Well, you could walk that."

Hmmmmm, well now there is an idea. I come from a family of fast walkers who naturally walk just a little over a 16 minute mile pace. That's normal to me. So yesterday I was able to walk 2.5 miles at a 15 min 43 second average pace. I need to strengthen my hips and ankles, but this is VERY doable. My plan for January is to try to run a half mile, walk a mile the whole time so as to finish a little faster if possible. Anyhoo, I'm excited! I feel like this is something I can really do :)

Signature

4 comments:

dad said...

Go for it. You can do this.

annalee said...

woo-hoo! you can do it! i walked the dallas white rock marathon in 2002 and the austin half marathon in 2007. i was nowhere close to the end of the finishers among walkers and runners. there's definitely something to be said for keeping a good pace however you cross the finish line! yay abby!!

Ulovebeth said...

Dude! I never thought about run/walking it! Maybe I will do that one day, too!! Okay, now I'm inspired. Also, to be inspired yourself google "Chrissie Wellington".
Go, ABBY!!

Unknown said...

I like your plan Abby. Also, I went to McDougals for the Intro to Sewing class. I loved the teacher! She was so energetic and funny esspecially for it being a Tuesday night. Thanks for the recommendation!