Monday, May 21, 2012

Home is where the school is?

I'm not sure yet... luckily I don't have to be :) Lately I have been thinking more and more about the possibility of home schooling the kiddos once they reach elementary age. I love that we can cover the curriculum in home school in way less time each day than the over 7 hours a day they would spend if they went to public school. I love that they can be educated with a Christian world view at home. I love that my sweet gentle spirited boy could be spared potential bullying. I love that I could add in specific things I want them to learn like Spanish at a young age.

BUT, I'm afraid of them feeling like they missed out. I'm afraid of not socializing them well enough. I'm afraid of giving up all of that time to get things done. Mostly, I'm just afraid that I'll fail. That I won't be able to do it....... But then I realized... So what? What's the worst that could happen... they end up in public school?

That's not a bad thing.

I'm actually a fan of public school. I had fully planned on enrolling my kids until God started to lay home schooling on my heart. While discussing this, the hubs and I actually came up with the perfect solution. Micah has a summer birthday, and while I have no doubt that he will be ready academically for Kindergarten in 2013, he will barely be 5 years old at the start of school and the behavioral and social readiness probably won't be there. Soooooo, the plan for now is to spend the 2013-2014 school year trying out homeschooling. I'll go ahead and start doing Kindergarten with Micah and see how it goes. If it works well then we'll keep at it. If not, he'll be very prepared to start public school the next year. I'm REALLY excited about this plan.... the other great part of it is that I still have a year to prepare and research curriculum and co-ops and all that.

Anyhoo, that's what's going on with us at the moment :) I wanted to post vacation pics, but most were taken on other people's cameras and those people live in San Antonio and Paris (stinkin) France.... It may be awhile ;-)

Signature

6 comments:

Dad said...

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

Katie said...

We are on a similar journey. I found this article and it was helpful in narrowing down possible directions within homeschooling.
http://simplehomeschool.net/educational-philosophies-defined-part-i/

http://simplehomeschool.net/educational-philosophies-defined-part-ii/

Abby said...

Thanks Katie!!

annalee said...

loved reading about your heart and decisions. sounds like a great plan.

APage said...

Hey! Praying for you with your decision making. I'm on the same page. I love the idea of customized education to my girls individual strengths and weaknesses and having an educational environment where they are able to interact with their curriculum in ways outside of the typical classroom setting.
I was homeschooled and never felt like I missed out but loved it and benefit from a love for learning.
Love-Amy

Kimi Smith said...

We provide tasks to our students that will serve as their achievement for every milestone every time they are able to complete one task. Our programs will definitely keep your child motivated because we promote goal setting and reward system. With our christian home school curriculum, we provide easy tasks for your child to perform everyday according to their free time. They work on these tasks at their own pace which allows them to complete a school year’s work.

American Academy does not only provide you with a Christian home school curriculum, but we also instill values essential to your growing child. Take advantage of our affordable rates as well. By choosing us, you are not online molding the future of your child, but you also mold his personality at an early age.