Thursday, April 06, 2006

Lessons in submission, and other fun stuff :)

As most of you know (because you go there too), First Baptist Houston has been going through Colossians together every Sunday for quite a few months now. When Gregg started talking two weeks ago about Colossians 3:18, I have to admit that I was dreading it. I was raised in a super conservative church where submission is a prominent thing and I am therefore accustomed to this line of thinking. The reason I was dreading it is because I help facilitate Hometeam, a coed small group bible study that talks more indepth about the sermons every week. Society today teaches women that submission means servitude and loss of identity and many women are not raised in churchs that address these falsehoods. I knew this topic could be very volatile and it worried me.

Within the first 5 minutes of the sermon, Gregg busts out with the information that the submission topic will be a two part sermon....CRUD!!! I get a text message from one of my co-facilitators that showed that he was less than enthusiatic about this development as well. To cut a super long story short, here's the run down-

Hometeam Submission Week 1- Chaos. Many girls offended and/or alienated by comments guys made about submission. We get WAY off topic and end up discussing the fall of man and whether it's ok for women to have epidurals ( I couldn't make this up if I wanted to :)

Hometeam Submission Week 2- Totally unprepared, tired, sick and worried Jeff, David and I dive in head first and..... God is faithful!!! We had an amazing discussion that was truly beneficial and relevant. Nobody was offended and everyone participated (no small feat in a group of 28) and everyone benefited. Praise God!!

No comments: