Monday, January 17, 2011

Disney Half Marathon!

On January 8th, Nate and I ran the Disney World half marathon together... along with my brother, sis-in-law, my dad and 28,000 of our closest friends :) We had to get up at 3am eastern time to make it to the race on time and I think we look remarkably good in the picture below considering we got about 4 hours of sleep and this was taken at 4 something in the morning :P


It was definitely an early morning, but we had SO MUCH FUN!! Disney did a great job of making the race fun and memorable. The start of the race included fireworks for each wave and a send off from Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald. The course provided great entertainment from high school bands and cheerleaders (they were so fun to have there!), DJs, bands, Disney characters all along the course and great spectators.

We ran through Magic Kingdom where trumpeters on Cinderella's castle heralded our arrival, park employees cheered us on and people stopped to take pictures with anyone from Jack Sparrow (who looked EXACTLY like Johnny Depp) to the fairy godmother. We even had the Magic Kingdom train blowing it's horn and rooting us on. We went through Epcot and ran around the iconic Spaceship Earth ball and we did the home stretch past a choir doing a rocking rendition of We Are The Champions. We had a BLAST! Best of all we finished in 2:51:33... under our goal time of three hours! Considering that I had to do it in intervals (walking with scheduled sprints), I'm really happy with the time :)

Of course I had to sport my Minnie Mouse gloves and my ginormous Minnie bow that I sewed and stuffed to perfection myself... I'm just trying to figure out when I will be able to wear it again, I love that thing :)




Signature

6 comments:

Tabaitha said...

Great accomplishment! Love the bow and gloves.

The Goods said...

congrats! Love the Minnie bow and gloves! I most certainly would have gone over 3 hours trying to get pics with all the characters!

Kelli said...

So proud of you!

annalee said...

WAY TO GO ABBY (or should i say MINNIE)!!!!

dad said...

Well done.

Unknown said...

Great job on the race and the bow!! That sounds so exciting.