Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Trans Texas Mess

This is an article about a project that I worked on for several months. I find it disturbing. I had no idea when I started that my chosen profession had so much opposition from the general public (This is the case on many projects, not just this one) and I certainly never thought I would face the types of open hostility from the public that I have seen since my arrival here. I won't tell you my thoughts on this article (I signed a legal document that prevents me from speaking about this project) but you should read it if you have the time. It brings up the question, What do we truly need? and How much are we willing to sacrafice to get it? or even maybe Whose needs are more important.. city or country people?


http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/4135183.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had read about this in the Times Picayune or online N.Y. Times. Progress doesn't mean the same thing to everyone...obviously. I can understand the feelings of those whose land and/or lives would be adversely affected by this massive roadway. On the other hand it would certainly make it easier and safer to cross the state. Since you have been involved in the project I can understand why the situation bothers you. You wouldn't think your job could be controversial. In my case, when it doesn't involve me in any way, I san see both sides! I'm glad it isn't my decision to make, though.

Anonymous said...

I would love to know your knowledge of and thoughts on this subject. I have only a vague idea about the project (what I have read in papers), but I have enough experience as a professional to know that journalists seldom do a good job of covering a story like this. As for your chosen field; an engineer has to provide competent design at a level appropriate to the stage of the project, which in this case is conceptual. If you and your buddies do your job right, then decision makers have the data they need to make informed decisions. They might or might not decide well, but providing a real-world model for the work process is still valuable work and an honorable way to make a living.

As an oil patch engineer, most of the criticism I hear about my industry is either based on ignorance, hypocrisy, or both. I suffer a lot more worrying about the safety of my design than I do wringing my hands about what politicians and talking heads have to say about things.

erin vanv said...

Do people throw tomatoes at you on your way to work? ;)

I used to try to hide what I did when I flew out to California. I'm okay now that I'm in Alberta. People just hate me for being an American now...