Monday, August 28, 2006

Wedding Weirdness - Part 3

When I sat down to write this, I wanted to use this title--> "Registries.. the art of asking for things you don't want." But I decided to continue the wedding weirdness series instead. Now, registries aren't weird in the sense that I didn't know what they were or how they worked, but I have discovered the very weird underbelly of said registries.

Nate and I did our first registry at Crate and Barrel and it was SO MUCH FUN! We had a great time and picked out things we really liked and felt good about. Then yesterday we went to Bed Bath and Beyond to register. Within 3 minutes of entering the incredibly frantic and disorganized kitchen gadget section, I was stressed out. By 30 minutes in, we both wanted to shoot ourselves. I really REALLY dislike that store! So you may be asking yourself, "Self, why did she register there if she doesn't like it?" Well, they have a good return policy. We had heard from someone that Target (where I really wanted to register because I love love love it there) wouldn't let you return anything without a gift receipt. After leaving BB&B in a fog, we had to go by Target to buy toiletries anyway and decided to ask for ourselves. Well, turns out that anything you don't have a receipt for can be returned for store credit as long as it is on your registry. ARG!!! Independent research is always the way to go on these things.

Nate is awesome... here is why. He agrees about preferring Target so we are going to go register there soon. I sprang this on him as we walked out of BB&B after spending 1-2 hours registering there. And he doesn't mind this at all.. you rock babe :) We will leave a few things on the BB&B registry that we like better than what we find at Target.

Ok, here is where the surrealness set in for me. You are supposed to register for at least 1 item per invite you send out (actually a lot more since some items are 5 dollars and people like selection anyhow). Well, for us that means a MINIMUM of 225 items. So far we have approximately 150 items... not bad actually. But that is counting all of the multiples separately... I seriously doubt people will be buying us only one napkin ring :) If you take out all the multiples (for the less expensive items) we only have about 100 items... yikes! We haven't hit the ceiling yet (we need to add some more stuff to Target seeing as how all that is on there now is stuff I added last night on the internet...can't wait to go in :) but we have a lot of things we are already happy with. The question is... when do you start asking for things you don't want just to bulk up a registry? Also, why isn't there a way to mark what you really REALLY want on your registry? That way people would buy it first :)

I'll stop for now, but I will leave you with this.... Whenever our registries are done and a shower approaches, please follow these easy guidelines-
*Off the registry is fine, but please no BB&B gift cards.... I've been scarred and feel that being made to go back in there might have undesirable results :)
*Go to Crate and Barrel first... me likey.... a lot
*This has nothing to do with shopping, but Target is so better than BB&B.....we walked in and I smiled. Cute stuff, actually organization.. I'm home :)

8 comments:

Ulovebeth said...

I don't like BB&B either. But they do have funny magnets that you could buy.
I don't understand the whole crystal picture frame/crystal bowl thing. What do you do with all that stuff? In all my years of living I haven't needed one, so when I get married, I'm going to need everything in crystal?

Anonymous said...

UG, tell me about it! We aren't getting crystal or china. I have my Grandma's china which I love and I figure two sets of dishes is probably enough :) I have to admit though that I was tempted to get the crystal duck figurine.... I have the feeling that I don't realize how much my life could be. Maybe if I had a crystal duck, it would all be so much more amazing... something to think about :)

Jen Lewis said...

I know how to solve your gift registry delema... Register for stuff for your starving law student friend as well. :) Haha. Wouldn't that be great. Abby gets married and I get free stuff. ;)

Anonymous said...

Abby! I didn't know you had a blog, anyway just goes to show I'm way behind. Here's an idea: register at Home Depot for tools and power tools and gardening stuff. Hopefully you'll get more use out of that than a crystal duck.

Anonymous said...

Nate’s a great guy, but he’s letting the team down on this one. It’s OK to give in and go to yet another store with your wife-to-be, but you have to make her feel your pain or where will it end. Now all the other guys in your circle will have to put up with, “Why can’t you be more like Nate?” Common, you have to at least whimper before you reload after 2 hours of shopping; if not for yourself, think of your buddies. STOP THE MADNESS NATE!

Let me know if you and Nate are considering implementing the Jen plan for resource reallocation. She was a great house guest and we would be happy to send your gift to her.

Anonymous said...

I'm learning so much from you Abby:)

Anonymous said...

Whoa whoa whoa! There will be none of this sending my gifts to Jen business (sorry Jen :).

Jen~ I might be persuaded to register for things to your liking and then I will sell them to you at a generous discount.

Dad~ Thanks for the support :P

Steph~ Just call me Yoda :)

Anonymous said...

I think I should clarify to the reading public that I too was very anxious to get out of there... this wasn't a guy shopping issue, this was a BB&B is horrible issue :)