Monday, August 21, 2006

Your personal message manager and you: A guide to not losing it

Ok, so my company has something called a personal message manager that captures messages it thinks might be spam but it's not sure so it wants you to check for yourself. Not a bad idea really, but here are my issues with it...

1) I will be sending emails back and forth to someone and it will just randomly decide that in email three they are trying to help me refinance something or sell me low cost prescription drugs so it will block the email.
2) When it captures said email it does not notify you until the next morning so you are left to wonder what is taking that person so long to respond.
3) It sends you an email EVERY DAY until you go in and look at the email and see if you want it or not. This is not a huge deal except that it is annoying to come back after the weekend and have three emails that want you to check this one email that it wouldn't send through because it didn't want to clog up your inbox.... is the irony apparent?
4) It has never captured a spam email for me... EVER. It is always emails from people I know and have written to / received emails from in the past. It held a client's email this weekend... that can be bad.

In short, the personal message manager must die.. thank you :)

5 comments:

Liz said...

You don't use Lotus Notes, do you? That sounds like one of the annoying "features" that I deal with every day with Notes. Dang these IBM programs! (Shakes fist defiantly!)

Anonymous said...

I'm working from home... I can be your new personal message manager if you want... I prefer payment in the form of sock monkeys... call me!

Anonymous said...

wait a sec... that wasn't supposed to be anonymous...that was me

erin vanv said...

Maybe if you didn't send so many personal emails it wouldn't be so annoying ;)

Our spam control has a link to a website on the intranet where you can find the list if you suspect it's eaten any email. Our spam contral also usually only catches spam except once when I was trying to get a very important email from my bank related to getting money wired to me so I could pay my first deposit on my apartment in the foreign country I'd just moved to.

Anonymous said...

Liz, it isn't Lotus notes but it is undoubtably something equally as frustrating.

Steph, HAHAHAHA :)

Erin, sometimes SPAM blockers do more harm than good. I've actually cut way down on personal emails... go me :) Oh, and I need your address :)