Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Food Chain

Around my office, there is a little thing I like to call the food hierarchy as involves office wide lunches that are provided by the company. Recently the office leader has started cheaping out on said meals and we have slowly made our way down the hierarchy. They bottomed out last week when they made our monthly office lunch a pot luck (aka, free for them). So for your viewing pleasure I present.... the hierarchy.

Level 0 - Making employees bring their own food and disguising it as a fun pot-luck. This doesn't officially get a level as the company didn't pay for squat.

Level 1 - Nasty Pizza. Instead of springing for Papa Johns or Pizza Hut or even Little Caesar's, we go for a local place that has more grease on the pizza than cheese. I am actually one of the least disgusted by the tasteless (yes, even with all that grease) pizza.

Level 2 - Sandwich trays. These can be ok if from a place you've heard of (Jason's Deli and the like), but half the time they come from the local place that has an affinity for gobs of shredded lettuce and mayo..

Level 3 - Boxed Jason's Deli lunches, non-specific. Pick a box.. it's turkey or ham. Oh, and they cut out dessert at this level to save 50 cents.

Level 4 - Boxed Jason's Deli lunches, place your own order. This is where you cross the line into something I am excited about. Yes, I'd like A half a roast beef sandwich on wheat with a cup of red beans and rice and a white chocolate macadamia cookie. Mmmmm

Level 5 - Generic catering. This is when a company not associated with a restaurant comes in. I have to say that I am a big fan of the baked potatoes with the chopped beef.

Level 6 - Restaurant catering. Escalante's, the Lasagna House, it's all good at this level.

Alas, my company has not been above level 2 for at least 6 months. The sad part is that level 2 only made one appearance in all that time, it was typically level 1. Perhaps I should inquire as to other companies food pyramids before I decide where I should work. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If food is the driver, it's better to be in a client company than a contractor. I was working in a contractor office for two days last week (and today) and was taken to lunch on both of them. I don't crave free lunches much at this point in my life, but the second was Churrascos, which is a favorite and which I haven't been to for several years.

Me said...

Count yourself lucky . . . ours is almost never above Level 0! Maybe once a year we get the pizza from the local joint and I think one time in my 7 years here we got the pick a pre-made Jason's deli box. Guess that comes with working for a company that is a contractor to the government though! They treat us well in other areas, so I can accept that they don't feed us well!

Mrs. Klink said...

hilarious! the school cafeteria is somewhere in the -2 to -1 range. i've never eaten there.