Monday, November 13, 2006

AP- Acronym Patrol

It seems that not a day goes by when I don't get at least one email utilizing acronyms that I don't understand.

Some examples from last week include:

"OK, I have 10 minutes and IS wants to take computer down. I have the IOA ready except to refine the Houston Scope of Work."

"I need to get this to SSO Billing today."

Um ok, I think that problem is that I haven't been here long enough to be able to read through these without stopping for a while to try to remember what the acronyms mean. Do you suffer from the same problem? Have no fear! I found a website that has common acronyms... you just type in the one that is stumping you and it will give you all of the possibilities it knows of that your acronym is used for. http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ Besides a helpful tool for deciphering emails, this is also a form of entertainment. I was thinking about my initials.... what do they say to people? If I signed them in an email, what would people think? According to the website, my initials (AJE) are portraying the following-


African Joint Effort (ILO/WHO Joint Effort on Occupational Health and Safety in Africa)
Alliance for Jewish Education
American Journal of Epidemiology
Anti-Jam Equipment


Exciting... right? ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had one very intelligent boss who was able to (and preferred to) speak in at length in complex sentences using acronyms for about every 3rd or 4th "word", leaving me at the end with insightful contributions such as, "What?" I'm not a big fan of using initials in place of words; I think all such talk should come equipped with footnotes for slow-witted folks such as myself.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know a guy like that too :P We should start a club :)