Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Christmas Decorations

My office is having a cubicle decorating contest over the next few weeks. Now, I am pretty sure this is an attempt to prove that our office is just as fun of a work environment as other offices.... I'm not sure it has another purpose. My suspicions come from the fact that our Austin office had a Halloween decorating contest that was much talked about and our office decided to do this (for the first time) about 2 days after hearing about the Austin experiment.

Well, at first I kept telling people that I wasn't going to have time to go out and buy decorations and then put them up, blah blah blah. The truth? I'm too competitive. I know that I will go overboard and end up spending a ton of money and then if I don't win, I'll get bitter. It's not all fun and games to me.... I may pretend like it, but for things like this I want to win. I want mine to be so much prettier than anyone else's that they will have no choice but to crown me queen of decorating and hail my creative abilities.... not in front of me of course, I'm not comfortable with that kind of attention :) But it would be a topic in the breakroom. People will remember it next year and look at the other entries and say, "Yes, but it could never compare to Abby's last year." Interesting that I want to go down in history but not have anyone compliment me to my face :P

So long internal debate short, I'm gonna do it. I have a plan and it's not too intricate. It does involve a dowel rod hanging from the ceiling, yards upon yards of tinsel, paper snowflakes, white lights and possibly fake snow and a likeness of Santa's backside..... I'll post a picture when I'm done :)

8 comments:

Ulovebeth said...

I can't wait to see the picture! My co-worker has a talking mistletoe above her chair that activates by movement. Please don't add this to your decor.
"Merry Kiss-mas!" It won't stop!!!

Anonymous said...

When it comes to Christmas decorating contests, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Anonymous said...

Umm, the talking mistletoe is tempting but I think I'll pass ;-) Mom, it sadly doesn't fall far. Nate is talking about putting me on a cube decorating budget. I would protest, but I think I need one :)

Anonymous said...

Who needs money? Just planning and creativity. I just began decorating our living room with last year's Christmas cards (since I didn't bring my own holiday decor on this now two year long road trip). Looks festive, albeit, confusing to my French tutor who initially thought that Americans are really on top of holiday preps! Now she knows I am just a little psycho :)

Anonymous said...

Haha, wow. Well, I unfortunately do not have any old Christmas cards and tinsel costs money honey ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, a $15 dollar budjet from Nate and the honeymoon hasn't even started! You might want to talk to your mom about the great "jury money" plan for extending your personal income. For that matter, you might just want to put the touch to your mom for a little financial help for your decorating project. I'm pretty sure she could find a little jury money to help you get by.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, jury money is definitely an option :)

Anonymous said...

Um, they didn't give me spending money as a teenager so I doubt I'll have much luck now :P