Monday, November 20, 2006

Beatnik Bride

I'll confess, I like the title of this entry more than the content I actually have to fill it. I had a moment yesterday where I realized I had joined the ranks of beatnik brides. Few escape it, few realize they've become it. Beatnik bride is my term for describing women who, as soon as they become engaged, stop cutting their hair. Suddenly the girl smiling back at you from all of your shower pictures has the same hair cut... long and straight. At the next shower it is straighter and longer, and longer, and longer..... For girls with curly hair, they become afro brides or perhaps lion brides. Their hair grows out instead of down. They suddenly find themselves with a head of hair that can be tamed by no invention mankind has yet stumbled upon. And all this so that a hairdresser can look at you on your wedding day and see the potential to do pretty much anything you want.

Anyhoo, my hair has gotten long.... not such a weird thing for me as this is how I spent my childhood and my sophomore year of college, but it is certainly longer than I have been used to it in recent years. I am looking forward to being married and being able to cut my hair and maybe, just maybe learning how to fix it two different ways.... oooooooo, variety :)

On a side note, I think i'm getting sick (just in time to spend the holidays with Nate's family, don't ya know) and I think I got sick from my insane boss who came in sick as a dog all last week and coughed all over us (she sits next to me.. happy times) even though she has plenty of sick time to take off. I am now plotting my revenge upon her. I'm not sure what type of evil plan will prevail, but I think cough drops might be involved :P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am guilty of going to work sick. It takes too long to wait.

Laurie said...

I loved your description of the lion bride - her hair grows out instead of down. That's hilarious. I suspect that will be me, if I get married.

Anonymous said...

Dad... yeah, me too. But my reasoning is usually more that I don't have the sick time to cover it. I have to be pretty sick before I'll take off

Laurie...you don't have to wait! You can be a lion RIGHT NOW!! Step one, stop cutting your hair. Step two, stop cutting your hair :)