Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Name Game

Elkins to Ezell.... doesn't seem difficult, does it?? Well, I started the process last Friday when I spent 4 hours getting a new driver's license and social security card. I actually made a new friend, Stephanie, in the process. We discovered each other about an hour into our wait at the DPS which gave us another 2 hours at the DPS to get to know each other :P She was also changing her name and was two numbers ahead of me, so we finished at the same time and went over to social security for the much more pleasant 1 hour wait. Point- You shouldn't have time to make friends and exchange numbers while waiting for your license.

Well, I got home and thought "All right, I've gotten it changed". Well, you know at least the hard stuff.... right? It was just about then that I started counting just how many other entities I had to contact to change my info. Still, it's not too bad... I'm wonder woman, i'll start right now. I log onto my online savings account..... they need a copy of my marriage license. Ok, I log onto my checking account...same thing. My credit card doesn't tell me how to change my name and doesn't offer it as an online service, so I assume I will have to mail them something as well. Ok, no biggie... I'll just change over some more minor stuff. Oh wait.. I need to change my cc account before I can change any of my automatic payments. Ummmm, I know! I'll get started changing it at work! Oh wait, I need to change my checking account first so that it won't screw up my direct deposit. Ummm, ok I've got it!! I know what I can accomplish right now! So I headed for the kitchen, got an ice cream sandwich and called it a day :P

P.S.- I called Nate at this point and told him that the next time we get married, he has to change his name :)

5 comments:

Jen Lewis said...

Well seeing as how it took most of our roommates over a year to change their name, I think you are making great progress! Hang in there! You will have a new name in no time!

P.S. I had a great time on Saturday too! Breakfast was wonderful!

erin vanv said...

I had a similar conversation with Taylor yesterday except I had no sympathy....because she went from 4-letters to 4-letters.

I will only have sympathy for my friends who marry into long last names that they have to spend hours spelling and hours hearing stupid jokes that are definitely not original. These friends can join my club. I hope to someday marry out of my club. It will be worth every frustration of changing the name...

leslie said...

do you have to leagally change your name?
or could someone just tell people their name is their married name, but not change all that legal stuff?
i'm just curious

Anonymous said...

You could just start going by your married name without changing it, but you have to get your license changed if you want to change your name on your insurance, credit card, bank accounts... otherwise you won't have id to access and use these items. You have to change your social security info in order to be able to file taxes together as a married couple. Basically, I think you really do have to make it legal :)

Erin said...

ya, i'm dreading it. haven't even begun the process yet....ugh.