Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree

Fact: Nobody carries their own Christmas tree home in Houston, TX. Well, maybe not "nobody" :P

That is my pitiful little segue into a Christmas Tree tale for the ages.... Now, I know that most of the people in my generation seem to have fake trees, but that is something I simply cannot go along with. I ADORE real trees and just wouldn't consider it Christmas without one. Pretty much the only thing I don't like about real trees is getting them home and then disposing of them after Christmas. I enjoy the smell, feel and look of a real tree as well as the process of analyzing every single one at the store to find just the right shape, size and fullness.

I am typically a Home Depot girl, but this year Nate and I decided to shake things up. Our main determining factor was that there is a Houston Garden Center across Peek from our neighborhood's entrance. SCORE! We decided that, in an effort to spare the paint job on the roof of our car, we would walk over and carry the tree back to our house. As it turns out, this is NOT normal tree buying behavior.

Anyway, we prowled the store until we found the "perfect" tree and brought it up front to purchase it and get a fresh cut. As we attempted to pick up our newly sliced tree, the all-Spanish speaking staff shooed us away and offered to carry it to our car for us.

"Oh, no.. we are carrying it home from here, but thank you!"

blank stares

"We live in that neighborhood over there, so we are just going to carry it home."

blank stares... "oh, ok!" one of the employees picked up the tree and started walking towards the house. Hmmmm, weren't expecting this.... was he going to carry it home for us? We had our answer quickly as he began to point at different cars with a questioning look.

"We are carrying it home from here."

blank stare

"You can put it down, we'll get it from here, thanks!"

blank stare

"Seriously, we are carrying it home."

The guy gives up and puts the tree down with a shrug.

We made it home with no issues and it turns out it wasn't even that difficult! It was helped by the fact that we bought a smallish tree due to our low ceilings in the bay window. We got some interesting looks from some neighbors who spotted us, but it was worth it and even kind of fun!









post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't be prouder of my "green" daughter. It reminds me of your dad and I carrying our big screen TV on my grocery trolley from the store to our apt. You've made a great memory!

Tabaitha said...

I love real trees, but unfortunately have never had one and probably never will. My allergies are so bad and the longer I am around a real tree, the sicker I get. Kuddos for doing it yourself.

Anonymous said...

I love your story! Be prepared for a lot of confused stares in your life; most people are so deeply in their ruts that they can't even think of different ways to do things.

Oh, my security word is "wharh", an in "Wharh is your car so we can load this tree mamm?"

Jen Lewis said...

Love it Abby! You always could have told the guy your car was right around the corner.... at your house. :)