Wednesday, June 03, 2009

8th Grade Philosophers

I think I am going to have to grow a little bit of patience before this Thursday when Katy ISD officially lets out for the summer. It's just sooooooo annoying having kids and teens everywhere while you are trying to run errands. They have the tendency to run around stores, yell loudly, run into people and have all sorts of other annoying practices.

I got a sneak peek of this a couple of days ago when I went to Hobby Lobby at 5 pm.... yuck. I nearly got bowled over several times by cussing 12 year olds, was blocked off by large parties of teens camping in the main aisles, and had a very interesting check out experience :P Sometimes though, you find a little bit of wisdom in the younger generation and it makes it all worth it....

As I passed three (formerly) 8th grade girls, I caught a snippet of conversation that made my trip worth it. The ring leader of the group was speaking in a very intelligent introspective tone as she told them, "...See, it's weird because we're freshman but we're not officially freshman yet... it's like we're fish out of water..." Both of her girlfriends nodded seriously as though pondering the words of their deep friend. I, on the other hand, was trying desperately not to laugh. I have to give them credit though, they redeemed an entire generation to me.... even if it was based entirely on entertainment value :)


post signature

2 comments:

dad said...

Wow, anticipating the excitement of becoming a high school freshman is about as low as it gets. Remembering back to my later high school years, we really didn't consider freshmen to be people.

The Goods said...

I'm so glad I'm not an 8th grader or freshman....life is so much sweeter now!