Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Some People Never Grow Up....

Young Nathan Jr (Nate :) convinced me to stop by Memorial City Mall on our way back in from Fort Worth to pick up my new iphone. Micah was doing well and I figured it would be a good chance to get it taken care of so that I wouldn't have to worry about it later this week. We called ahead and they told us that they had them in stock and it should only take about 20 minutes to drop in and pick one up..... sold!

Well.... things weren't quite that.... um.... expedient by the time we got there :P There was a line out in front of the store of people waiting to be helped with their iphone purchase. Luckily, when we got there, we were only behind 4 other people... should go quickly, right?? Um, yeah...not so much. They took in an average of one customer every 20 minutes! The best part is that I never saw anyone come back out, so they were in there FOREVER being sold accessories and getting demos. By the time I realized how long it was going to take, I was committed so I just hung in there. Turns out when all you want to do is buy the phone, it only takes about 7 minutes!

Anyhoo, the whole point of this post is to tell you about the guy that was three people behind me in line. After an hour of waiting (he got there soon after me), the man pulls out his last generation iphone and places a call to AT&T... turns out he had ordered a new iphone online, but when he saw that they had them at the Apple store, he HAD to have it right now. He called AT&T and was trying to cancel his order which had already shipped and was due to his house the next day. Turns out he couldn't (of course) so he told his wife that he would just refuse the shipment when it came and proceeded to wait another 30 minutes (that I know of) and based on the pattern, likely 40 more minutes after that just to get the new version of his same phone one day earlier. THIS WAS A 40-SOMETHING YEAR OLD MAN!! I couldn't believe it. I don't think he could stand the thought that other people were buying it before him... craziness. I had some serious doubts about whether or not I wanted to join the ranks of these crazies, but I hung in there... pretty phone..... my precious :P


post signature

1 comment:

Ulovebeth said...

I will be watching you for signs of apple-itis.
I kind of want one, too. But don't want to become one of "them."
That guy is the poster child of the apple-user. He might need apple-rehab.