Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Evolution of a Nickname

Those who know me well know that I have a myriad of nicknames... a cornucopia, if you will. I've often joked (only slightly kidding) that every person in my life calls me something different. As such, I am a fan of nicknames and have been using them on my kids :) When they are first born, nicknames come in droves... it calms down as they get older.

Micah= "Bubs", "Micah Bean" & "Bean Pole"

Elizabeth = "Lizzie", "Lizzie Lou", "Liz", "Lizzie Belle", "Sunflower" (she always turns towards the light :), "Sunshine" (I call Micah this sometimes too... happy babies :), "Roly Poly", and my favorite "Fuzz" or "Fuzzy" (the hair)

As Cher said in Clueless, I see their names as a jumping off point to start negotiations :) If you think I'm a nickname fanatic, here's where I get it...

Abigail = Abby, Gator, Abs, Abs of Steel, Abs of Flab, Flabby, Flabigail, Flabigator, Gator Bob, Gator Pie, Tator Tot, Gail (bleh), Abigoose... and the list goes on, and on, and on :P

Nate also has a lot of nicknames, but to my family he is typically "Young Nathan Junior" ;-)

Signature

2 comments:

Jenny said...

no. way. I just blogged about this. Read my blog. It's eerily the same sentiment. Weird. :)

czstout said...

I love nicknames too and with a maiden name like "Zipper" it's a good thing :)

Joey's name is her nickname...her real name is Josephine, but the one that flies out of my mouth the most is Josie Bell?!? Not sure why! It just kinda rolls off the tongue :)