Tuesday, March 01, 2011

A New Frontier

Clothing! It has always intimidated me to sew clothing... bags are one thing, but it takes much more skill to make something that will fit a person and look cute. I have somewhat been avoiding this, but I figured it was time to buck up and make Lizzie a dress. I chose a VERY simple pattern and jazzed it up a bit with a contrasting band on the bottom, a ribbon and contrasting bias tape. Just to make it a bit more difficult on myself, I lined the whole thing too :)



I used an 18 month dress of Lizzie's to get the general dimensions, and it worked... it'll probably fit her in 6 months :) The good news is that this will easily convert to a toddler top as she gets older. As you can see, I was so proud of my new creation that I whipped out my best camera... oh wait, no... I took cruddy pics with my iPhone. Well, you get the idea at least :) I was going to wait til I had better pictures to post, but I had nothing else to write about, so here you go!


So this project made a lot of firsts for me
1) First time sewing clothing
2) First fully lined dress
3) First time making my own bias tape
Signature

5 comments:

dad said...

Very cute.

Rayanna J. Lee said...

I love it! I especially love how her little tenni-sock perfectly accessorizes the look :D

Katie said...

cute! I love the bird fabric. I have yet to tackle sewing clothes. I think with that light color of fabric lining was a good choice.

Diana said...

If this is your first, I can't imagine the outcome when you are an expert! Great job...the kid's pretty cute too :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's adorable, and she looks so proud of it:) I can't imagine lining your first garment!
Gran