Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My mother.... a magnet for scary people

Most people have something about themselves that they look at and wonder.... why does that ALWAYS happen to me? Some people are perpetually lucky, others seem to end up on the unlucky side all of the time. For example, before I married Nate, I was full on patted down and my luggage searched anytime I flew anywhere... no idea why.

My mom's "special" talent is an interesting one..... she attracts crazy people. Quite often these crazy people are compelled by my mother's presence to spill their entire life stories. You would be surprised by how often this happens to her. I still remember being in line at Six Flags and having the woman next to us in line start to tell my mom all about her messed up family. I don't remember exactly, but I know at one point she speculated that one of her family members had murdered another family member. Ummmm... ok. Yesterday at Kohl's, a woman approached us and loudly interrupted our conversation by asking where to find a bank for a baby. You could tell something was off (she was talking to my mom, after all :) so we answered politely and tried to walk away. She followed and continued to talk to us. Oh dear. We answered politely again and walked away. She followed. Luckily, after a few minutes of ignoring her, she moved on. I've got to say, I much prefer my airport security issues over my mom's pull on strange people :)


post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They must sense that I don't usually mind...most of them are lonely. But I would say the Polynesian guy on the train who kept looking at us an licking his lips was very creepy as well as the guy who kept sniffing me. If you are not the compassionate type, here are the top three tips for avoiding these folks
1. Don't EVER go on the cat food aisle.
2. Keep moving at all times while you're shopping.
3. Don't hang with me in public:)