Wednesday, September 23, 2009

New in Katy

For those of you Katy people out there, I thought I would send out an FYI. In case you didn't know, the Brookwood Community has opened up a gift shop in La Centerra!! It is in the space that Get Personal used to occupy next to J Jill. It's kind of small, but they have some great stuff there.... and it might save you the hassle of fighting off crowds at the main store around Christmas time!

For those of you who don't know what Brookwood is, OH MY GOSH! It is a community for mentally challenged adults in Brookshire that gives them a place to have active employment. They raise really high quality plants (their greenhouse is very large and the poinsettia I got there last year was gorgeous!), run a large shop where many of the gifts are made by the adults in the community (and they have some seriously great stuff), and have an on site cafe that has really great food! The adults don't cook, but they serve as your waiters. The whole thing is not for profit and the money spent there goes to support the adults who live there. Go sometime! But call ahead and make reservations if you want to eat lunch in the cafe :)

post signature

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh I didn't know they were in La Centerra! Cool! It is a neat place and I just went to a wedding the chapel there, absolutely beautiful!

Unknown said...

So good to know! I love la Centerra. I will have to plan a visit.

Julie S said...

Hey there. Rachel pointed me to your entry since I too live in Katy. That sounds like a really cool place, and it's good to know more place like that are opening up around here. I'm curious about why we have to call in advance if we want to eat there, but I guess they don't have a big kitchen to accommodate last minute eaters? Anyway, you seem like a cool lady so maybe our paths will cross at some upcoming AECOM Houston event.

Abby said...

Julie, The cafe is really popular, especially around the holidays. You might be able to get in without a reservation on any given day, but it is a little bit of a drive, so it is better to be safe than sorry..... you never know what local women's groups have decided to take a large contingency to the cafe that day :P This has happenned to me though, and you can often get food to go if the cafe is booked up... it's just more fun to be able to sit down and eat :)