Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Function Over Fashion

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree how lovely is your gray plastic, toddler resistant barrier ;-) We bought our tree the day before Thanksgiving and carried it home (this time with my dad's help as I am not in prime tree carrying condition). I LOVE IT. I love having a real tree every year.... I love the smell, the feel, the hunt for the right shape and fullness. I love the lights, the ornaments and everything about the tree. Then I had a baby. Last year that baby was immobile and not an issue... this year not so much :P

A Christmas tree loaded with breakable and misplaceable ornaments suddenly looks more like a hassle than a joy when a toddler is involved..... But I couldn't just not have a tree, right? So I bought this lovely baby play yard (read, cage) and I have to say... totally worth it! I'm able to live the next month of my life without constantly worrying that Micah will redistribute our memories around the house never to be see again. Oh, and I can put the presents under the tree! All that being said, I do have to admit that the barrier doesn't do much for the aesthetics of the tree.... in fact, it's Ugly (with a capital U, don't cha know). But hey, an ugly bottom half of my tree is a good trade off for me keeping my sanity :) Don't worry, I'll take it off for Christmas morning ;-)


Signature

4 comments:

amd said...

I just clicked on Next Blog, because I do that every now and then when I don't want to work, and came across your blog. What fun to read. I hope your little Elizabeth is born healthy and strong. I'm expecting twin granddaughters sometime in the next month or so, so enjoyed reading about your babies. I'll pass on your Christmas tree cage idea! My daughter may need that next year!

Amy said...

Well Abby, your just being silly. Simply tell Micah not to touch the tree. ;)

Abby said...

amd- thanks! Congrats on the grandbabies... my mom always says that grandbabies are the best kind of babies you can have :)

Amy- now WHY did I not think of that?! I'm sure that always worked perfectly with Elena ;)

dad said...

Be firm but fair (I thought I already told you that).