Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Pecan Upside Down Pie

Are you ready for the Thanksgiving sensation that's sweeping the nation??! It's bold, it's unconventional and it'll knock your socks off.... ready? TADA!!

That's right folks, pecan upside down pie. If you look closely at this cross sectional picture, you'll be able to spot the crust.... It's that whitish line between the top of the pie and the filling :) But wait, shouldn't the crust be UNDER the filling?! Not in this instant classic my friend. What components do you need to create such culinary genius? I'm glad you asked! You must have the following~

1) A perfectionistic baker taking her first stab at a homemade pie crust

2) An uncooperative crust that has to have a patch job once in place to repair a small tear

3) A whole lotta luck :P

So basically my pie crust bubbled while cooking and about half of my filling ended up under the crust :P At first I was upset because it wasn't perfect.... then we tasted it. OH MY GOSH!! The pie tasted perfect as always, just like my family always makes them, only this time instead of an overly thick, flaky, or dry crust we had a moist, gooey, shortbready crust creation.....it wasn't even stuck to the bottom of the pan like I feared.... awesome. I just wish I knew how to make the crust do this every time :)




Signature

3 comments:

dad said...

Your Grandmother Elkins actually pioneered the art of in-the-middle pie crusts and can provide many useful insights.

Kelli said...

Post recipe!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah...well, mine didn't actually turn into a mid-pie crust, but a little(or big)bump of crust through the top of the pie, something that happened in pecan and chess pies. I learned a trick: poke holes in the uncooked crust; then mix a Tbsp of flour and a Tbsp of sugar and rub all over the bottom of the crust. Bake at 300* for ten minutes before adding the filling and finishing the baking. Voila!
Gran