Monday, December 03, 2007

BCS = Big Crack-Smoking fun

Ok, I realize that most of my readership is female (such as it is after my long respite between jobs) but I have to address something about college football that is driving me nuts. Ok, so we all know that the BCS is jacked up right? I mean, it just very rarely turns out that there are two obvious teams at the top that should play in the national championship game. There are either 3-5 teams that "deserve" it, or in the case of this year there aren't any obvious choices.

As for me, I'm thrilled that LSU is in the championship game and I see how the BCS reached the conclusion that they should be included... here is my real beef with the BCS this year..... KANSAS??? REALLY?? Only two teams from any given conference can play in BCS bowls which meant that although Missouri, OU and Kansas are all in the top 10, only two of them could participate in BCS bowls. Well, it should be Missouri and OU then... right?? WRONG!!! The BCS has chosen Kansas over Missouri! Ok, let's review the facts here.....

~ Missouri is ranked #6 currently and Kansas is ranked #8. 1 point to Missouri

~ True, Kansas only lost once during the season but it was a butt whooping administered by Missouri. I say, 1 point to Missouri although many say 1 point to Kansas for only losing once.

~ Missouri beat out Kansas for a spot in the Big 12 championship. 1 point to Missouri

~ True, Missouri lost twice, but both times was to OU (the number 4 team in the country!!! Two points here.... Missouri only lost twice because they played in the Big 12 championship and the only reason that Kansas didn't lose twice was because they didn't get the opportunity to play OU in the regular season and they didn't make it to their own conference championship. I say, 1 point to Missouri.

~ Kansas had a much weaker schedule. They played A&M, Baylor and OK State while Missouri had to go against OU, A&M and Tech. In fact, the only ranked team Kansas beat was K State who was ranked # 24 at that time and has never made it back in the polls since. Point to Missouri.

All this to say that the BCS got it majorly wrong and I can't believe they are holding a loss against OU in the Big 12 championship against Missouri.....it's ridiculous :P

6 comments:

Tabaitha said...

I completely agree with you that the BCS is messed up. They just need to get rid of it all together. It should have been Kansas playing for the title. I understand it's based on schedules and who they play, but come on...most of the scores from all the games Kansas played in were high scoring. I'm in vote to get rid of the BCS all together!

Anonymous said...

I agree that Missouri should have gotten the BCS nod over Kansas, but the important thing is that the TIGERS ARE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! This puts everything else into perspective.......Ummm, I'm guessing that Tabaitha went to Kansas. All logic is acceptable when defending your own school. However, if high scores and lack of losses (while not really playing anyone) are the criteria for selection then Hawaii has no peer.

Abby said...

Luckily, my emotional investment in the fate of Missouri is the result of my sense of fair play being offended and not a really strong tie to the school. As such I can say, "well... stinks for them" and follow it with a GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Jen said...

I'm so with you! But now I will be watching Missouri play Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl, so that WILL be fun.

Mrs. Klink said...

not to mention the winning pct of Kansas' opponents this season was 0.430...and i won't even get started on Ohio State's schedule! what a joke. i guess that's neither here nor there- everyone knows the SEC is the best conference, anyway.

Jen said...

Hey, I can't help it if it's my dad's birthday wish to go to a bowl game each year, and I'm his daughter who loves football. It definitely works in my favor! :)