Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Broken Break Down

Well, how many of you out there are familiar with the red plate idea? This is a tradition that many people have of having a special red plate that is used by anybody in the family who is having a special day. If it's your birthday, you eat off the red plate; if you ace algebra, you eat off the red plate; if you get a promotion, the plate. Anyhoo, I really liked this idea, but didn't want to pay for the official red plate and also thought that I'd prefer something with a little more of a personal twist.

I decided to make our "red plate" at Mad Potter on our anniversary. I spent 3 hours carefully painting it, paying attention to every detail. I was so excited to get it back and see how it turned out. Then... I jinxed myself. As I was handing it over, I said to Nate "It better not break in the kiln!" Um, yeah... well you can guess what happened :P It busted into two halves. We went to pick it up, and there it was in all it's broken glory. I about cried. I get to go back for free and redo it, of course, but that begs the question of when on earth am I going to find the time to do that?! I can't exactly bring Micah unless I want it to take 6 hours next time. Hmmmmm... quandary. Now, on the upside, I am already examining the sad pieces to decide what I want to do differently next time.... maybe this will just be a case of practice makes (somewhat) perfect :)


post signature

5 comments:

Kelli said...

What a great idea! :) I might have to copy your idea. I love the idea of making the "special" plate be unique to our family!

The Goods said...

I got the "official" red plate for Jeremy's birthday in Nov. Although he liked the idea, he was not as pumped as I was to reveal our new "tradition." My sister uses her red plate and has 4 kids, they all love it.

I didn't do mine at Mad Potter on purpose - I have done many a plate there and am always having to be super careful not to chip the edges. I didn't want to fret when our future children donk it with a fork! :)

Anyways, I have been to MP enough to notice that they have had to redo many a plate for people when it broke on their time. I'm surprised they didn't offer to redo it for you?!?

Anonymous said...

Can your glue your red plate back together (or did Nate use all the glue on purpose)? If you plan on raising children with this plate, it could be convenient to have one that's already been broken once.

Jana said...

Here are two options to a solution to your problem:

Option 1: Bring me with you to Mad Potter when you redo your plate. I have a half finished plate from over a year ago that I need to finish painting. Mine won't take as long and I will entertain Micah - or likely the other way around.
Option 2: I will babysit Micah while you go paint. This option is really available anytime :)

Abby said...

Ooooo, very tempting Jana! Hmmm, maybe we can partially do that and you and I can go while Nate babysits :)