Friday, January 09, 2009

Sinking to new lows

In the past, when I've said that Micah didn't sleep, I've meant that he was up every 2 hours throughout the night. Well, I'm telling you that Micah didn't sleep last night and by that I mean that he DIDN'T sleep. He never slept last night for anything longer than 10 minutes. It got so bad that we knew he was fed, changed and taken care of so we set an alarm for a next reasonable feeding time (at that point only 1.25 hours away) and simply turned off the monitor and just got up to the alarm.

When it sounded at 2, he was still faithfully crying at the top of his lungs so I fed him and we tried to put him back down and were again unsuccessful. We did the alarm tactic again, this time getting two hours of sleep. As far as we know (and his wet shirt would imply) he never went to sleep in that time, nor did he stop crying. This is why I laugh when people tell me to let him cry himself to sleep..... he has never once accomplished that and we have let it go well over an hour and a half many times.

Anyways, he is up for good now and is as happy and contented as if he had gotten 12 hours last night. Normally in the morning I enjoy his smiles and laughing, but I have to admit that when he turned on the charm at 5 am this morning without so much of a wink of sleep I kinda wanted to smack him :P


post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sleeping thing gets easier. By the time he's a teenager you won't believe how well he sleeps.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I will NEVER use the phrase "slept like a baby" to describe a good night of sleep!

Well, I didn't want to smack him at 5am when I picked him up after 2.5 hrs of him screaming, but I did do my little amazement/don't know else to do laugh (which Abby HATES since she thinks I'm laughing at her :) when he stated smiling and playing with me.

Well babe, I hope he is happy and sleeps well for you today. I hope to make it through the day without falling asleep at my desk...lots and lots of coffee today!

Kelli said...

UGH! I am so sorry that you guys had a night like that. Caroline was up from 12-3 the other night going in between screaming and talking up a storm. I thought by nine months it was done! I hope you can sneak a few naps in today!

Erica said...

I love your blog, Abby! And I TOTALLY know what you mean about not being happy to see your baby's smile at 5am after a night of no sleep. It is NOT CUTE at that point! :)

Tabaitha said...

I'm so sorry. That has to be rough. Last night, Mason didn't want to sleep either. We believe he is having a hard time separating dreams from reality and wakes up with separation anxiety. Most nights he is great, but this is the second time it's happened in two weeks. I had a total of 3 hours of sleep last night, so I feel your pain. Hope you get a nap when Micah does tonight.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a full moon! Maybe that's it...well, maybe not but it sounds good :P So sorry Abby. John and I had nights taking turns laying at the door of our little one many years ago for about 4 days. It was a kick in the shorts! All these years later and I can still feel your pain!

C-Ray said...

Well I'm fortunate not to have and screaming babies keeping me up at night (usually), but I can tell you that Houston Hobby is not a great place to catch zzzz's. I was lied to and told I could stay in the comfy terminal, but as soon as I had settled down they told me the only place that stayed open was the baggage claim. I eventually snuck behind the Avis desk and was able to grab an hour or so of shut-eye. It was pretty funny, actually. Hope tonight goes better than last!!!