Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Filters

Let's face it, blogs are not exactly the consequence free areas of expression that many like to tout them as. The things that you write about can cause you problems both personal and professional. This is why I have my filters :) What's that? You want to know what my filters are?!! Well, sure!

1) My "Sensitive Info" filter. The question- Do I want a complete stranger to have access to this information about me? If the answer is no, the filter comes into effect and stops me from writing my address or SS online... which believe me is SOOOOOO tempting :P

2) My "Overshare" Filter. The question- Would I want my dad to know this about me? Cause my dad reads my blog, and frankly anything that it would make me uncomfortable for him to read doesn't need to go out to the general public. This is why my labor blog basically said how long it was and what time he was born.... nobody wants to know much more than that :P

3) My "Hassle" Filter. The question- Is this post going to offend my audience or cause an outcry of any variety? Frankly, I don't want to deal with the backlash of writing something overly controversial.... offended people are perpetually unreasonable.

4) My "truth" Filter. The question- Are the facts that I'm conveying true? The reasons behind this are multi-faceted... I'm not keen on being a liar, I don't want to look stupid, and referencing number 3, I don't want to deal with the comments if I don't have my facts straight.

5) My "No-fly list" Filter. The question- Is this post going to put me on any government lists? Let's just say that my old boss got put on the no-fly list accidentally and even after the mistake was discovered, they told him that he'd be on 10 years before he could be removed. He goes through a lot of hassle to fly now and I don't want none of that :P


post signature

2 comments:

Kelli said...

It's a good thing you have #5. I am frequently concerned about that for you at play group.... :) LOL!

I like it and every time I type something, I think about my dad reading it.

dad said...

I don't worry so much any more about writing things on-line that I don't want my dad to see, but I think it's still a good rule for you.