Wednesday, October 18, 2006

My day, oh excuse me, dayS in El Paso

I went to El Paso for a business meeting on Monday to discuss a toll study that I am working on for my company. Darrin and I left Houston around 8 in the morning and flew out there for our day trip. It was BEAUTIFUL!! The weather was awesome (sunny and 65), the mountains were clear and beautiful and it is a neat little place to drive around actually. So we go back to the airport to catch our 6:55 flight home and..... it's delayed. As anyone in Houston knows, it rained cats and dogs on monday. Now, the rain was over by the time we were scheduled to fly back, but the planes had experienced so many delays throughout the day that they were now running really late.

Our departure time was pushed back to 10:15 (ew.... this is El Paso time which means 11:15 CST with a 1 am landing time in Houston... yuck). We decide to wait it out and around 8:20 we hear this announcement, "Attention Houston passengers, the flight out of Houston that is coming to pick you up has been cancelled. They will be re-routing a plane from Dallas and your new departure time is estimated to be 11:00 pm. I am sorry to tell you this, but that gives you a landing time in Houston of around 1:45 am. " We talk to the ticket guy who tells us that it will likely be delayed further and maybe even cancelled if they can't find a pilot to relieve the current one. So at this point Darrin and I give up. We book rooms at the Radisson (freakin nice suite all to myself... not a bad way to spend an evening) and get tickets for the first flight in the morning leaving around 10 El Paso time.

Well, you guessed it.. our flight in the morning was cancelled (still don't know why) and we got put on an 11:05 with a stop in Dallas. I got home yesterday at 3:45 pm and I have to tell you, fresh clothes never felt so good :) As it turns out, the flight did take off Monday night, but not until 11:30. This put the 18 passengers who stuck it out (out of an almost full plane) back in Houston well after 2 am. No thanks, I preferred our method even if it did get delayed again, and again, and again.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is crazy Abby! I am very glad you made it back safe and sound. I only had class for an hour on Monday. It was BEAUTIFUL!!! U of H was only open from 12-5. :) Hope you have a great day. Welcome home!

erin vanv said...

I feel your pain .I experienced delays in my flight out of Dallas Monday as well... but for plane maintenance reasons. I got to spend an 1-1/2 hours in the immigration line too :)