Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Shadow Proves the Sunshine...


I flew to San Antonio yesterday for a day trip for business. It was really productive actually and I am very glad I went even if I am a bit tired now :P I had one of those random moments on the flight when God just reaches out and shows you something really cool about himself and I wanted to try to share it with you.

The weather in SA all day was gross, It was mucho cloudy and the sun never came out the entire day... just kind of dreary. As we took off the come back home we ascended through a layer of thick clouds... nope, still gray. We went through another layer, still gray. After we busted through the third layer, the sun was on us in all it's glory. It was beautiful with the tops of the clouds (that now looked white and fluffy as opposed to gray and blah) reflecting the light of the sun. I instantly felt better just being able to see the sun and I couldn't tear my eyes away from the window until we went back down underneath the top layer of clouds.

Ok, so here is where I try to not get all philosophical on you. I was thinking about it and the whole day when I was in SA I felt like there was no sun and I was depressed to not have it shining outside. When it's cloudy, we feel like the sun goes away.. but it doesn't. It's there above the clouds shining as brightly as always. Why, when we go through trials, do we begin to feel like God has abandoned us? We may not be able to see him, but he is still there... . not only that, but his glory is in no way compromised by the trials in our life. He shines just as brightly through our trials as he does in the "good times" of our lives. Not only that, but when we come out of trials and are able to see his glory again, it means so much more to us.... not because it is better, but because in that brief moment we are able to see a more true picture of his glory. Our suffering allows us to better understand and appreciate God's glory in our lives. I will stop here, because I don't think I can come up with adequate words to describe what God revealed to me yesterday and I know many of you have probably have similar revelations in the past. With that said, never doubt God's presence in your life and know that whatever you may be going through, his glory is still shining. However distant you may feel from him, he has not abandoned you and he will use this to bring you into a better understanding of him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very encouraging for me. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

After 34 years of being a Christian, God still shows me in new and different ways that the reality of His presence is not a function of my perception of His presence.