Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wedding Weirdness - Part 5

I was talking to a coworker of mine about wedding stuff and I was explaining the unfortunate timing of having to pay for the rings and the second part of the honeymoon (and many other things) all within the same credit card bill..... It's gonna be a big one :P

The conversation proceeded a little like this,

Her- "Well, aren't his parents paying for the honeymoon?"
Me- "Ha, no... why would they do that?"
Her- "Well, it's the groom's parents' responsibility to pay for the honeymoon."
Me- "Um, we're adults so we are paying for our own trip.... I've never even heard that was their 'responsibility'... you sure?"

and on it went. It's amazing the expectations that people put on their parents financially even after they've been financially independent for years. I understand that my parents owe me nothing, and I treat the fact they are giving me money for the wedding as a blessing and a generous gift, not something they are supposed to do. When she said that the groom's parents are supposed to pay for the honeymoon, I could almost hear my dad laughing all the way over in France.... He's always said that the honeymoon (like the rings) is your responsibility. If you can't afford a blow out vacation then DON'T TAKE ONE!!!

For those interested in wedding plan progression, it is going well. We have most things in place including all of the invites addressed, stuffed and stamped. The favors are coming along well and I hope to be done with them in the next couple of weeks (crafts tend the drag on when you are doing 240 of them :). We have all of the paper for the programs and some of the ribbon (we are hunting down more and have so far been met with success... a strange and unfamiliar outcome with us and ribbon) as soon as we get the order of the ceremony down, we can start designing and printing those. We have already used half of a color ink cartridge for the printer we bought last weekend and seeing as how the print on the programs isn't black... we'll be needing to replace that at least once in the near future.

I broke down and decided I didn't want the stress of buying bulk flowers of unknown quality, so we ordered all of the bouquets and will just tackle the other flowers. We have ceremony music as well as first dance music picked out (not gonna tell because I like the surprise :) and now I am on to picking out hostess gifts. The bridesmaid gifts are done, the gown is being altered, the shoes/accessories are bought, the guest book is in my room and I think my days of getting a package a day are going to begin to go away.

I think this is long enough :)

2 comments:

Sarah D said...

Wedding sound complicated... I'm glad I'm not planning one anytime in the near future. :-P

Anonymous said...

I think dad's exact quote is, "A honeymoon is a gift that you give each other."