Thursday, August 16, 2007

Let there be light!

So I got home yesterday and... no power. Ok, wasn't expecting that to still be out, but it's ok. We go and talk to the guard and get a time frame of "tonight" for when it is going to come back on. Hmmm, ok. This presents a problem. Nate and I are not addicted to very many shows, maybe two. But the top one? So you think you can dance. Guess what was on last night? That's right, part one fo the season finale. AHHHHH!!! I frantically called Jen only to hear that she was in bible study that night so I called Stephanie and pleaded with her to let us totally mooch off of her. Well, luckily for me, Steph is awesome and welcomed us immediately and even had popcorn waiting for us!

We had a meeting right before the show then we rushed over and watched it until 9. We went back home hoping against hope that the power was on (when we left at 5, there were 4 electric company trucks there and they had dug up a couple of parking spaces so we were less than optimistic) but sure enough, we had nothing. We got an incredibly sweet offer from some friends who lived nearby and had heard about the power for us to stay with them. If I hadn't just taken my shower when they called, then I would have jumped all over it :) Anyhoo, we had an estimated power time of midnight so we laid down with all of our light switches on so that we would wake up when the power came back on so we could turn on the a/c.

At 10:45 the power did come back on.... for 15 seconds. Bummer. Luckily they got it all up and running by 11:15ish so we are not too totally wasted today. It's interesting to me how dependant we have become on "modern" things like power. I suppose in the days without power they had more than one thing around the house to light it as opposed to our one flashlight (he served us well) This is a long post. And with that, I'm done :)

3 comments:

Ulovebeth said...

It sounds like you're living in Africa or something. When I was there, there were days the electricity didn't work. And nobody seemed to think much of it. How in the world are you sleeping w/out AC or a fan? Is your pillow an ice block or something? Is this all of BW?

Erin said...

it was quite an interesting day. matt ended up running extension cords from the pool area and set our neighbors up with power strips for fans, lights, and the tv. too bad y'all don't live on our side :(
it was actually kind of a fun night - on our side all the neighbors were out and actually talking with each other (what a concept?!) definitely thankful that those repairmen wouldn't leave "until [you] got air."

Jen Lewis said...

Sorry I was not there for you. I am glad you got to spend some time with Steph though!!! I can't wait to see you this weekend!!!