Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Me vs. the rain.... round 2

If you live in BW or anywhere near there then you know exactly what I am talking about. At precisely 4:20 this morning, the complex was brutally attacked by weather. Now God controls the weather, so if you think about it that way then we were brutally attacked by God and it's pretty amazing that I am here to write this :) Anyhoo, we experienced perhaps the most intense thunder I have ever heard and my best guess is that we got at least 4 large direct strikes (based on the lack of time btwn thunder and lightning).

So I was lying there silently cursing the rain for waking me up an hour early and it started..... the first car alarm set off by the hits. It went for a couple of minutes and then shut off. Then another hit... two car alarms. They get shut off in a few minutes. Give it another minute and, yeah, another hit and another alarm. I assume all of these people are up at this point, but this last person must have had trouble finding the keys. Why, you ask? Well, our power was taken out by strike number 2 or so, so I'm guess searching for the keys began with searching for the flashlight. They get the car shut off and then another hit sets it off again. This time the keys are in their hands since it only gets in two honks before it is silenced. The same car repeats this with the next two strikes and I am thankful for the neighbor who kept the keys in their hand ready to turn it off.

This brought me to a realization..... no power....no light....hmmmm, interesting getting ready for work scenario. Nate located our large flashlight and I used that to pick out clothes and do my hair (no straightener) and I gotta say, I think I prefer how I look in the flashlight light in the morning as opposed to our keeps-no-secrets bathroom light. Anyhoo, I was extremely relieved to not have to drive to work in the rain and here I am sitting under florescent lights, that not only keep no secrets, but often gossip about you and point fingers, "ready" for another day of work. That's all she wrote.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interestingly enough (well, interesting to me I guess), we got enough lightening off in the distance in Katy this morning to discourage me from going out on my scheduled run, but the rain and lightening never actually made it to Cinco Ranch.

Abby said...

When I woke up from the rain, I prayed that you weren't out in it and that you woud decide not to run today. Guess it worked :)

Anonymous said...

Wow.....thanks!