Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bumpaholic

As in, "Hello, my name is Abby and I'm a bumpaholic." Well actually, according to the Today Show, I'm the only woman in my family who isn't a bumpaholic..... yet. My mom and I saw the most "interesting" segment on the today show on Tuesday. They were talking about a statistic that 25% of babies born last year were born to women having their third or fourth child. They gave these women the label of "Bumpaholic".

They then asked the question, "What would cause a women to want to have so many kids?" The answer? According to these two New York professionals, women who have more than two children are most likely doing it because they are attention addicts or they are trying to fill a void in their lives. Either way, they have psychological issues.

WOW. Ummm, is three kids really that many? I mean, so many that anyone wanting more than two kids has to have deep mental problems to have that many? We were dumbfounded. Well, I went on the today show website and pulled a couple of choice comments from the article that went with this segment. Let me know what you think...

"Women may like being pregnant a little too much, often driven to rapidly reproduce out of insecurity, a craving for attention, or feelings of abandonment by their own parents. Having babies isn't addictive in the way that alcohol and narcotics can be. But bumpaholics feel compelled to procreate for many of the same reasons that substance abusers turn to booze or drugs."

I do not argue that some people may have lots of kids for those reasons, but the interview implied that most women with 3 or more kids were having them for these reasons.

"Given all the psychological, physical, and social rewards associated with pregnancy, it's no surprise that so many women like it. But plenty of couples stop at one or two children, despite the fundamental drive to reproduce. This is because we can use our higher brain functions to keep those instincts in check."


I love that according to this quote, women with more than 2 kids lack the "higher brain functions" to stop themselves from having kids.... what?? Anyways, I just thought I'd share this with ya'll and proclaim that I do want three kids. Hello, my name is Abby, and Lord willing I will be a bumpaholic sometime in the future. :P

post signature

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The word that comes to mind is "absurd"!!!!
Gran

Me said...

I'm with you Abby! I hope to be a bumpaholic in the future too!

Kelli said...

OH my gosh that is so ridiculous.... Hi my name is Kelli and I am a closet bumpaholic! HA! :)

Jill G. said...

I'm sorry, but the statement: "Given all the psychological, physical, and social rewards associated with pregnancy, it's no surprise that so many women like it" is hilarious to me! Currently being almost 30 weeks pregnant, I'm not feeling those REWARDS. The reward will be my precious baby, but to think I'd do this over and over for PREGNANCY's sake?? I don't think so!

Sammie said...

So I had no idea I had such psychological issues being that I have three kids under the age of 5. Wow...I should call a shrink and get myself in ASAP. Thanks for the heads up on this scary condition! ;)