Friday, April 06, 2007

Holland and Belgium and France... oh my!

(A pic my dad took in Holland this time last year)

Tonight, after work, Nate and I are leaving on a jet plane for Paris. I am soooooo excited! We will have 3 days in Holland, 1 in Belgium, 1 in Normandy and 2.5 in Paris. As I sit at my desk contemplating how much will power it will take for me to get any work done today, I have a few things going through my head....


1) It's annoying to me that Holland is just as frequently known as the Netherlands and their language is Dutch. I mean, pick a name and stick with it folks.


2) One of my favorite things about travelling is eating in the airport. The international terminal at IAH has a Pappadeaux in it for crying out loud! I have been looking forward to having my Terminal E meal ever since we got the tickets :)


3) Wicked is awesome! Nothing to do with our trip, but we saw it yesterday and I couldn't not mention it.


4) There is nothing like a low maintenance guy to make a low maintenance girl feel high maintenance. Nate was able to pack for our entire trip in a backpack. All I am packing for him are toiletries and 1 pair of shoes. I can't beat that, and I'm usually a light packer.


5) I haven't gotten a ton of sleep this week between games and plays and whatnot and I have difficulty sleeping on planes, so I have basically accepted the fact that I will be up for at least the next 24 hours and I am already dragging. Oh well, I've done it before :)


6) My parents rock :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK I can explain Dutch, Holland Netherlands thing. They only refer to their country as the Netherlands since Holland combined with other provinces as a country long ago(Holland is only 2 out of 13 provinces) and their language is self-named after the Netherlands. They call the Germans a word close to "Dutch" and the British began calling them, "Dutch" as a pejorative since the Brits were jealous of the competition at seafaring, trade and colonization in the 1600's. I'll bet you're no less irritated now, but at least you know your irritation is the Brits fault :)

Abby said...

You're right... I am no less irritated :P Can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

I hope you have an amazing time on your trip! We didn't get to say bye last night so I thought I would do it now. Wicked was amazing and you are off to see your parents in Europe. What could be greater??!!