Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Countdown continues...

Part one of the countdown was the food of Maui, part two is........ the towns of Maui. Maui is an incredibly unique and diverse island. Different areas of the island have taken on different personalities and they all offer something unique to the savvy traveler. I'm not going to go too in depth here, I'm just going to mention my two faves and leave it at that :) First is Lahaina. Nate and I are staying in a hotel that is walking distance from downtown Lahaina which is exactly where I wanted to be. The hotel itself has a small private beach and we have our own lanai (balcony) that looks out at the ocean just 20 feet away. Anyhoo, Lahaina is a mecca of sorts for Maui tourism. It houses some of the best shops on the island (also some of the cheesiest) and is known for it's wide array of restaurants. Basically it's a great place to stay near because you don't even have to drive to get your dinner... everything is right there. Did I mention that the sunsets are GORGEOUS there?? Below is me and my mom and brother at a Lahaina restaurant (Kimo's) where we ate watching a beautiful sunset and I was introduced to Mahi Mahi, I am so indebted to the waiter who made me try it :) (Note how much more tan my fam is than me.... this happens a lot)


My second town in this mucho abbreviated Maui guide is Makawao. Located in Upcountry Maui, Makawao is home to the amazing bakery and a slew of art galleries and artisan shops. The little town is quiet and quaint and seems to have found the perfect formula for making it a must stop for Maui visitors. Anyways, that's all I've got... peace out :)

No comments: