Wednesday, April 23, 2008

You look like you are about ready to pop!!!

This would be the phrase I have heard over and over since getting to Maui.... apparently Polynesian women have torsos and don't carry their babies like I do :) I had forgotten how friendly the Hawaiians are since my last trip, (they rival the Japanese for helpfulness and I believe exceed them in excitement, joy and exuberance :) and the pregnancy has brought out the sweetness in every shop keeper I have met. It is an instant conversation starter and means that 50-75% of the stores I go into, I am unable to leave without first being asked when I am due. One lady in a Makawao gallery was genuinely excited for us and said a blessing for the pregnancy over us in Hawaiian... it was really cool!!

Anyhoo, just checking in to say that it is BEAUTIFUL here, we are loving everything we have gone to see and really loving our first day finds of Toffee and Milk Chocolate covered macadamias and Guava Jelly (which we have been eating on toasted Hawaiian sweet bread). I am typing this on the private balcony that is attached to our room and overlooks the ocean. We are about 6 feet away from the ocean actually and we get to watch the sunset directly in front of our room. I feel incredibly spoiled and am already dreading the return to real life...... although there is a house waiting for us :)

Fun side note- We saw a man riding his bike down a street in Lahaina with a massive parrot on his shoulder.... a real one. Unfortunately, the camera did not make it out in time.....Viva Los Pirates :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow - it sounds so beautiful there!

It's interesting how mothers, whether they gave birth last year or 40 years ago, feel an instant bond with an expectant mother.