Thursday, March 29, 2007

The basics have gone out of style

I went to lunch with some coworkers yesterday to celebrate our March birthdays from our department. Being the plan ahead person I am, I reserved the company Trailblazer so that we could take only 2 cars instead of three. So we piled 7 full sized adults into the white monster and actually fit surprisingly well. We left work and merged onto the Beltway and I noticed something.... 7 people, 4 seatbelts. Are you kidding me?? Did these people not go to drivers ed or defensive driving and see videos of non-seatbelt wearers strewn across the highway after an accident because they could be bothered?

This really did blow my mind. It would never occur to me to not buckle my seat belt regardless of where I was sitting in the car, so I was shocked that so many of my coworkers saw it as unnecessary. We didn't get into an accident and nobody died, but I felt uncomfortable the whole way there and back. Please buckle up guys, your lives are too precious to have them end so unnecessarily. I don't care if you are a good driver. Take it from me, you can be the best driver in the world and some random guy can just plow into you after you have been stopped in traffic for a couple of minutes...buhlieve me :) Ok, I think that ends my public service announcement, happy Thursday ya'll!

No comments: