Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Do my windshield wipers go any higher?

Anyone who is in Houston today knows exactly why I am asking this question. I just got home from work and I left an hour ago. To some people that's normal, but my drive is typically 15 minutes... so this was extreme. Let's step thru the drive, shall we? I took Hardy home to avoid the backups on 45. Hardy was good but it was raining so hard that there was not a single car going over 55 mph (as opposed to the normal 80) I got to 610 and the rain let up a bit just in time for me to get an upclose view of two consecutive lightening strikes within a few feet of my car. After the lightening it began raining extremly hard again and the close lightening and the hard rain paired up to make it even worse.

I exited at Katy Rd and ran into a foot (at least) of water across the entire ramp. Ok, I'm off the highway.. it had to get easier... right? Well, I got to Silber and turned under the highway and saw a high water high and everybody u-turning to avoid the 3 or so feet of standing water. Ok. I pulled a u-turn and went to Antoine to turn around. I got on the service road and hit two very long stretches of water 1-3 ft deep between Antoine and Silber and three 1-2 ft deep sections between Silber and the condo.

The icing on the cake? I had to pee like you wouldn't believe the whole time. As you can imagine, strong rain is less than helpful in that situation :P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh...can't wait for good old Texas rain. I've tried to explain to Europeans or Japanese that rain can be dangerous in other parts of the world and you can't just go out walking in it. They look at you like you are nuts!

Abby said...

Texas rain is best enjoyed while inside your own home when you don't have to leave until it's over :)

erin vanv said...

Stupid comment I used to make while living in Calgary:

I miss Texas rain. Last Wednesday I realized that this comment was not very bright.