Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Condiments

So yesterday I was reading about weight gain during pregnancy and when it is supposed to happen and so on and so forth. At the point I am at, I am supposed to be gaining 1 pound per week from here on out. So far I have a giant goose egg it the weight gain column. They say it's ok to not have gained weight during the first trimester although average weight gain for those three months is 2-4 pounds. (Many women don't gain weight due to morning sickness) But now I have to step it up and deliver a pound a week. I read a WebMD column that suggested the following->

How Can I Gain the Right Amount of Weight During Pregnancy?

If your health care provider recommends gaining more weight during pregnancy, here are some suggestions:

-Eat five to six small, frequent meals every day.
-Keep quick, easy snacks on hand, such as nuts, raisins, cheese and crackers, dried fruit, and ice cream/yogurt.
-Spread peanut butter on toast, crackers, apples, bananas, or celery. One tablespoon of creamy peanut butter will provide about 100 calories and seven grams of protein.
-Add nonfat powdered milk to foods such as mashed potatoes, scrambled egg,s and hot cereal.
-Add condiments to your meal, such as butter or margarine, cream cheese, gravy, sour cream, and cheese.


The last part of this sort of got me.... since when are butter, cream cheese, gravy and cheese condiments? I mean, I'm all about it but I've never exactly seen them put into that category before. Well, wanting to be a good future mommy and put on a pound this week, I fixed fried chicken with rice and gravy last night.... lots of gravy :)

side note to my mom- I am no longer scared of this recipe! Last night was my best ever chicken and my gravy was a cut above the last time I made it (It tasted as good as yours)..... I have conquered the beast!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats...now enjoy it while you are young and thin enough to eat it :)