Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Asian Cooking and Teenage Pregnancy


Last night, my mom and I went to a cooking class held at the William Sonoma in Highland Village. They were doing a "Healthy Asian" class wherein we got to watch them cook three different dishes and we got to eat them each as they finished them... it was SO GOOD!!! I was inspired not to be afraid of different cooking styles, although my inspiration did not include the purchase of a $170 wok as it did for many other people in the class :P The menu looked a bit like this~


~Appetizer- Pot stickers served with the Williams Sonoma Potsticker sauce (which I did buy.... it's fabulous!)


~Recipe 1- Stir Fried Ginger Beef with onions served over Asian egg noodles (The beef was fantastic)


~Recipe 2- Stir Fried Chicken with jalapenos, bell pepper, basil and who knows what else over cinnamon and bay leaf infused rice (This entire dish was out of this world and is SO making it into my kitchen :)


~Recipe 3- Pork Satay with peanut dipping sauce (What I had was great, but the pork was cooked still pink in the middle which is a big no no in pregnancy so I only had a small piece that had cooked all the way through)


~Dessert- Homemade Ginger ice cream (good..... too good..... way too good....seriously)


The employee who made the ice cream worked for Marble Slab for 7 years before this creating ice cream flavors and he whipped up this little gem for us... it was amazing. He and the two other chefs for the evening have all been professionally trained in New York, Houston and California cooking schools... it was so good!! The only downside? I went with my mom and because I look so young, I realized about halfway through the class that most of the people there thought I was a teenage pregnancy. I tried to flash the bling, but at that point their minds were made up. Oh well, all part of the adventure of looking a decade younger than you are ;-)

3 comments:

Liz said...

That sounds so delicious! My mouth is watering right now! Did they give you the actual recipes at the end of the class? If so you might need to share with a friend! :)

Abby said...

They did give us the recipes! I will pass them on as soon as I have time to type a revised set up (they changed a lot of things while they were cooking :)

liz said...

looking young- don't worry, abs, i got carded trying to obtain a blockbuster card last year...the age requirement -- 18 :)