Monday, May 12, 2008

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die...

...this is the motto I have chosen for the Katy freeway, or at least the approach it's drivers seem to have embraced. It loosely translates to "Drive as fast as possible now, for at any point on the road, you may have to stop." I can't complain about my first Katy fwy commute experience though. I left home at 5:35 and got to work (Woodway and Augusta) at 6.... all this by the fact that the freeway never slowed down to under 60 and generally flowed closer to 70. I am not naive enough to think that every day will be so easy, but for now the Katy freeway and I are best of friends. I have a couple of factors going for me that will make this friendship easier to maintain....

~ I only have 8 weeks (including this one) of commuting left before I'm gone on permanent maternity leave
~ Those are summer weeks.... summer= people on vacation = lighter traffic
~ Since this is just a two-month thing, I'm hoping to get my boss to approve a 6-4 day so that I can keep taking advantage of the early morning traffic pattern

For those of you who enjoy moving updates, I thought I'd do a quick overview of where we are on that..... we're in!! The condo is (mostly) empty and has been cleaned so that it will show presentably. The house is in fairly good shape, although some rooms more than others :)

Rooms in perfect condition (everything set up, nothing much left to do)-
~ The nursery
~ The two other upstairs bedrooms
~ All bathrooms, except the master

Rooms in good condition (less than 30 minutes of work left to make them ready to go)
~ Master bedroom and bathroom
~ Dining Room
~ Den
~ Gameroom / Office

Rooms that need CPR
~ Kitchen
~ Living Room

Now, the kitchen is getting a cabinet and counter top makeover hence why nothing has been able to be put away yet. The kitchen stuff is all in the Living Room in boxes along with misc. items from other areas of the house. I can't decide tonight whether I want to focus on the good rooms and get them ready to go, or just dive into the beast..... I know you are on the edge of your seat awaiting my decision ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't wait till 6:00 to leave the house. You will find that conditions on the Katy Freeway have begun to deteriorate significantly by then.

Abby said...

ah, this I knew.. hence the trying to pull off a 6-4 gig..... I haven't worked up the courage to ask :P

Erin said...

pictures are in order!

Abby said...

I know :) When I locate the camera cord (somewhere in the living room....yikes) I'll have to load some :)