Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's Good to be Wanted

A little flattery can go a long way, even if it isn't really meant to be flattery. Sometimes, as a stay at home mom, you begin to feel kind of useless. I mean, I definitely see the merit in staying home and being with your kids, but other people do not always see this as a useful contribution to society. I'm not gonna lie, when people ask me what I do now, I more often than not tell them that I used to work as a transportation engineer instead of saying that I am a stay at home mom. I want people to know that I'm not stupid because I'm staying home, and I'm not staying home because I can't find gainful employment. It's stupid, and it's prideful, but it's the truth.... I don't want to be considered a "stupid housewife" as my coworker once referred to anyone staying home with their kids.

Well, I'm getting over it. I am happy with my choices and I know that my new job will give my child/children multiple benefits and that their future teachers will be thankful that they have had parental attention and not been raised by a daycare (it makes a big difference... or so my teacher friends tell me). Still, I was flattered when a company that I had an offer from last year called me recently to ask if I wanted to leave my current situation and join their team. I told him that I am staying home with my son right now and he congratulated me and asked that I give him a call if/when I want to rejoin the workforce and they would be happy to have me. This gives me 3 offices in Houston where I have a standing job offer. It's nice to feel wanted :)


post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the strokes.

Alyssa said...

As one of those "teacher friends" I echo what all your other teacher friends have told you. :) There is no replacement for any child's mom and dad.

Allison said...

Absolutely. Way to go Abby- you are doing great things, and you have many career opportunities should God lead you that direction. My mom stayed home with us, and it was a priceless investment in my sisters and my futures. :)