Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Kickin and Screaming

First has a really nice "infant care" room in the church where they have 6 gliders, a couch and a changing table. Women go in there and feed their little ones while they chat about motherhood and other various topics. It is a peaceful, relaxing place.....or at least it was before I showed up :P Micah is, shall we say, an angry eater. He pulls off constantly and screams while he is eating (he has gotten better and no longer does this EVERY time) and he refuses to calm down while he eats. This Sunday was the first time I had to try to feed him in the room at church and it didn't go so well.

He was making his opinion of what was happening known....loudly. The other women (the room was packed) just kept staring at me. I felt SO inept. I absolutely could not wait to get out of there. I changed him and he calmed down. I brought him back to the couch and propped him in the corner while I packed up his diaper bag.... he face planted. He was staring down at his feet and ended up face down on the couch. This earned me more looks from the women in there and cemented my position as World's Most Inept mother in their minds. It was a blast. All I know is that I NEVER want to go back in that room again. Maybe I'll find a nice secluded bathroom stall next time :P


post signature

3 comments:

Tabaitha said...

I'm sorry you had such a rough Sunday. Trust, me you aren't alone. Just remember, it's still a learning experience and not all babies are the same. Mason would do the same thing when he was eating. He would get fussy the minute he would unlatch and then when he would latch on, it was like he was attacking chest. Kuddos to you, because you have been feeding this long and I had Mastitis and couldn't push through it and stopped when he was about 6 weeks. I really want to give it a go with Taylor this time and plan to see a lactation consultant if I have problems.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need encouragement, so here goes: Parenting is like that, so you'll have to get comfortable (or at least make peace)with being stared at. You’ll continue to be pushed into situations for the next 17 or 18 years in which you feel that you are unequal to the task and like others are making judgments about your abilities, tenacity, love, etc., etc. Some times this will be true. For some crazy reason however, you are the mother that God selected to raise Micah; no one else would do. Personally I think the kid hit the lottery in selecting his parents, but don’t expect a lot of feedback to that effect from him (or other parents) for another 20 years or so.

Amy said...

So is the title referring to Micah, or you at the thought of having to go in there again? :)

I already told you of my experience with Elena throwing a STINK in there, and I'm pretty sure that we're not the only two that have gone through that in there.