Friday, November 14, 2008

Nutcrackin Good Time

That's right folks, it's that time of year again. The time of year when over 60,000 women join together to pay homage to the arts and crafts; the time of year when people will cut you off, block you in and run all over you in pursuit of an ornament; the time of year when new mothers will break out the Baby Bjorns and use their newborns as human shields..... that's right, it's the Nutcracker Market.

For those of you unfamiliar, the Nutcracker Market is a yearly Christmas market that is set up in Reliant Center to benefit the Houston Ballet. Hundreds of vendors come in from all over the country to sell their goods and you can find pretty much anything under the sun. Yesterday was my first market experience and let's just say that it left an impression :P

My mom and I went because a friend of ours from Dallas was there helping out at a friend's booth (it was good she did too, because they were SO busy... one person couldn't have handled it). We both enjoyed the experience and we both decided that we don't really want to go back :) The crowds are just too much... it's stressful. I don't think we looked into every booth that we would have had it not been so crowded, plus it is so huge that you feel like you have to keep moving or you will be there forever. We each bought one thing that we are excited about and I'm glad we went, we just don't see that madness becoming a yearly tradition for us. That being said, if you live in Houston and you haven't gone before, you should make the trip out there... it's a true Houston experience that you need to have :)


post signature

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That place is insane! I went for the first time last year. Some women wear matching hats or shirts to identify that they are with a certain shopping group. I'm wondering if this is in order to identify the body after the stampede? I too enjoyed it, but am not so sure I will go back. If so, I will write my SS# on my arm... :)