Monday, March 30, 2009

Breakin Up is Hard to Do

Nate and I made the decision about two weeks ago that it was time for us to leave First Baptist. This was not a decision that we reached lightly and it is certainly not easy. Our main reasons for leaving are that~

~ We want to be at a church closer to home. It is difficult going to a city-wide church... our Sunday school has events in Pearland, the Heights, Missouri City... all over. Sometimes with a baby, it's just too difficult to drive an hour for dinner. Even the "close" events in town take us a minimum of 30 minutes to get there. It makes it so hard to stay connected! Also, when Micah is older and wants to go to church events during the week, it will just get plain old to be driving that far every time and eventually we will stop taking him to everything.

~ We don't feel connected to our Sunday school class anymore. There are a few couples in there that we are really close to, but for the most part we are outsiders. We decided that we either needed to reinvest in the class or move on... since we knew we wanted to move on before Micah got older anyway, we decided that this was as good a time as any :)

It is going to be a difficult couple of months (we've limited it to 2) while we are without a regular church body. I almost cried yesterday during the service when Roger started singing... I am going to miss the music at First for sure. I also almost cried as Gregg really brought it during the service.... I have been blessed by Gregg's teaching since I was a freshman in college and he was leading Breakaway. It is so difficult to leave him as well. I am going to miss running into my friends from singles in the hallways. It is so hard to keep up with everybody, and we have loved seeing people and catching up with them on Sundays. First is where I made all of my friends in Houston, I found a home in Lighthouse... I found Nate in Lighthouse. I have been forever blessed by participating in Houston Project, the Christmas Store, and many other ways in which First serves Houston. I never thought that I would feel so at home at such a large church, that I would see friends everywhere I turned. Anyways, I'm rambling :) Thank you Houston's First Baptist, you have been and will remain so dear to me always.


post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome to my life almost a year ago...when c and i decided to do church in sl...it's a strange and somewhat sad transition, but it's part of life...and deciding to do life in the suburbs :) -- liz dammel

Never Enough Food said...

We will miss y'all but totally understand. Good luck!

Tabaitha said...

It is such a hard decision and even when you know it's right, it doesn't necessarily make it any easier. Praying you guys find a church closer to home. Have you heard of The Crossings? It's the daughter church Kingsland started a few years back. It consists of mostly young married couples and I have heard nothing but positive things about the church. If you are interested I can get you in touch with the pastor's wife, Lori.

Kelli said...

I know how much you love First, and I pray that you find the same thing out in Katy!