Monday, May 21, 2007

"House" is only two letters away from "Hosed"

I had a fabulous weekend with my whole fam in town! It was a lot of fun even though pretty much nothing went as planned. My brother and sister in law came in with Elena on Thursday and Nate and I went out to Katy to have dinner with the whole group. I left work early on Friday to go hang out with them at the pool and just enjoy being around them. The whole group was on the way to dinner when my parents got a call from the realtor..... I'll come back to that. In summary though, after breakfast on Saturday we spent our afternoon house hunting and our evening watching the Stros break open a convincing win over the Rangers.

Wait, did you say house hunting? For who, I thought your parents had decided on a house? Well, so did they :P I will give you the Cliff notes version, but the whole thing is just to weird not to tell. So, the owner of the house my parents were going to buy has been weird throughout the process. The bidding was weird and all the dealings with him had been weird including him staying in the house while my parent's inspector was there to keep tabs.

Owner is weird #1- Ignoring the previous weirdness mentions, I start now at #1. It was more expensive for the owner to move on Memorial Day weekend and so he asked that he be allowed to stay in the house for a week or so after closing. This is pretty normal... typically the old owner will pay the mortgage/utilities/property taxes of the new owner for the time they stay there after ownership has passed. Well, the owner offered my parents $1 a day since they won't have a mortgage. That is ridiculous! My parents countered with $30 a day (which doesn't come close to covering utilities and property tax.. Also, typically the amount is $100-200 a day) The owner got angry and came back with a penny a day. Well, that was weird. My dad proposed that they sign the papers as planned and just not close until after the owners have moved, and this was accepted. Had the owner been thinking, he would have realized that $30 a day is far cheaper than his mortgage+utilities+tax, but he obviously did make the connection there.

Owner is weird #2- The inspection report listed several items that needed repair on the house. My parents decided to do all the repairs themselves except for one thing they asked thw owner to fix... the upstairs AC. The unit was corroded and as it turns out, the compressor needs to be replaced... an expensive repair. Typically speaking, the owner is responsible for replacing something as basic as an AC unit... the upstairs was super warm when we were there, so we were not surprised with the findings. Well, when the owner found out, he insisted on seeing the full report (a really bad idea as now they have to disclose everything on it to every potential buyer... even nit picky stuff) and proceeded to cut off contact with his realtor.... for almost a week. He did say that he'd made the repairs (when she finally got a hold of him), but he wouldn't sign the standard document that says you've made the repairs and protects my parents from having to make them themselves if he is lying. It gets to the point when there are 7 hours left in my parent's option period and no one can get in contact with the owner and he still hasn't signed. They tell him, "Either you sign or we walk" and...... nothing from the owner.

So, long story short, my parents withdrew their offer and as of last night had an offer on a beautiful home in North Lake. I will hold off posting pictures till after the option period, if you don't mind :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is North Lake?

Abby said...

It's in Katy :)