Friday, May 25, 2007

Spaz-a-lot



I went to see "Spamalot" last night at the lovely Hobby Center and I have to say that I'm torn. Not unlike the movie itself, the musical was silly and hilarious while often hovering in or near the realm of being inappropriate. Nate and I took up a vote and decided that we were glad we went, but it wasn't the sort of thing we would take our kids to later in life. All that said, I don't know whether I recommend it to others... it was entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed it but I feel as though my morality was struck a blow by being there. For those of you that are now thinking "Gee, I'd like to go for the entertainment value but I'm not sure I care for the innuendo.", here's a few of my favorite moments....

During a song that explains that you won't succeed on Broadway if you don't have any Jews.... "There is a very small percentile who enjoys a dancing Gentile!"

During the second act, a main character from act 1 comes out and sings a song entitled "What happened to my part?" lamenting her lack of stage time in act 2.

They pulled a real live old lady out of the audience and gave her an Arthur Award after discovering that the holy grail had been under her seat the whole time. The woman looked dumbfounded and a little frightened as the knights took pictures with her.

You know what? Writing these out is something akin to reading a comic strip out loud to someone who can't see it and expecting them to laugh. I apologize for attempting to pass on something so not pass-on-able, but in all honesty I just had to find a way to write "There is a very small percentile who enjoys a dancing Gentile" within some sort of context because it made (makes) me laugh :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the post was worth it for that quote...i think i will make it a goal to work that into a conversation this weekend :)
miss you!

Jen Lewis said...

I get to see Spamalot in 2 weeks. I am excited about it but was glad to read your review before I go. :)

Off topic, I miss you! Lets hang out soon! :)

Abby said...

Courtney~ I thought so.. miss you too!

Jen- You'll have fun :) Hanging out is never off topic...let's do it!