Thursday, October 29, 2009

To Swine, or Not To Swine...

I have gone back and forth with whether I feel comfortable getting the swine flu shot. As a pregnant chica, I am considered high risk and high priority for getting the shot....... or that's what they say. With all the hype about pregnant women being one of the first groups to get the shot, why can my OB/GYN not get the doses she needs? She finally got some yesterday and they were gone by the end of the day. Part of me is SO MAD! I am being bombarded my media telling me that I NEED to get the shot and that if I don't and I get sick, I will likely be hospitalized and possibly die from complications, and at the same time, I have NO WAY of getting the shot!

Another part of me is relieved. I don't really want the shot, I can't decide whether I feel ok about it, and the total lack of opportunity for me to get the shot has allowed me to not have to make a decision either way. I didn't feel 100% comfortable with getting the regular seasonal flu shot and this one makes me more nervous. Anyhoo, consider this my H1N1 rant~ If you are going to establish "high priority" groups, make sure they actually get the doses FIRST. Do not hold public clinics where doses go to non high priority groups as long as they are willing to wait in an impossibly long line. Oh, and stop using the media to try to scare the mess out of people who don't even have the shot available to them!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program :)


post signature

5 comments:

Ulovebeth said...

I'm not getting it, but I'm not preggers, but you should see if you can get a mercury (thermisol) free shot.
If you're going to take it...

Erin said...

when i asked my pedi about thermisol when we were interviewing him, he says that it's hardly ever used in vaccines anymore - their practice definitely doesn't distribute vaccines with it.

however, there is a lot of misinformation about the mercury potentially in vaccines anyways...if any, it's ethyl, not methyl - which is the super harmful type.

i'd suggest getting it. we've already had some kiddos get it in our SS class - it's definitely going around, and while i don't think it's super life threatening if you catch it early, it's better to not chance it.

Tabaitha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tabaitha said...

I'm not getting it and neither are my kids. I have talked to several friends that are in the medical field and most of them have the same thought, it's not going to prevent you from getting it and you are injecting it into your body. The best thing for flu or swine flu is plenty of fluids and rest. The best preventative measures would be for everyone to wash their hands and limit contact with those that are ill.

Jenny said...

Hey Abs! Might want to check out www.mercola.com for an alternative health care view on the swine flu as a resource. Trusted source. I think it has a whole section on the flu craze. Our physician's views are along the same lines as well. I asked one of our docs for another friend of mine who's preggers if his wife were pregnant would he have her take it. He said nope. If you would like some of our recs on what you should do, let me know and I will email them to ya!