Monday, July 16, 2007

Book Snob?

I went to go see the 5th Harry Potter movie yesterday and I was sooooooo excited! It's always interesting to see how someone else's imagination pictures what they have read in a book. Well, by the end of it when the credits flashed "Based on the novel by JK Rowling", I turned to Nate and muttered, "yeah, loosely based...." Let's count the similarities, shall we? The title is the same, most of the characters are the same, ummmm... well, that's about it.

I have vowed when going to see these movies that I will not be one of those annoying little book snobs (like I was in Runaway Jury). I realize that you can't fit that large of a book into a 2 hour movie and do it justice. In the other Harry Potters, however, the movie seems to give you the general story very accurately and just leaves out a lot of details that there is no time for. In this one I felt the movie failed to capture the true personalities of the characters, the ways they had changed since book 4, the reasons they did the things they did. The movie as a stand alone item is pretty good, although I would argue not as good as some of the previous ones.

As it is, I am now looking forward to book 7 arriving at the end of this week. I have never been disappointed by the books, although JK has admitted that she kills off 2 main characters in this book and I am anxious to find out who (especially if one is Harry). Anyways, on to the next!

No comments: