Monday, July 23, 2007

This is my home

I went back to Dallas for a wedding this weekend (Congrats, Ben and Lynn!!) and as Jen and I drove in, I was struck by how much less it felt like my home than it used to. Jen is still VERY attached to Dallas and while she will go wherever God has her after graduating law school, her strong preference is Dallas. It's understandable with her family there and the fact that she, like myself, grew up there.

As she spoke about the all the things she missed, there were aspects that I agreed with her on, but for the most part I'm just happy to live in Houston. In some strange twist, my loyalties have transferred and I have found my new home in Houston. Dallas will always hold so many memories for me and so many people that I love and cherish still live there, but I now longer mourn it's absence in my life.

Sometimes I wish Houston was prettier, but for the most part I have learned to accept it and appreciate it for the things it does have. The friendships I have made at First are invaluable, I love having my parents close by and the restaurant choices are fantastic. Beyond that there are so many other stupid little reasons why I am glad to call this place home. I know it has always been in fashion for people, particularly young singles/young marrieds, that live here to bash it, complain about it, and constantly talk about moving away as though there could be no place worse you could possibly dwell. Well, I've left that train. God wanted me here, and now I know why and I love the city for it.

2 comments:

Sarah D said...

Interesting how God does that... I feel exactly the opposite about Houston and Dallas. Houston holds some wonderful memories and friends for me (it's still like coming home whenever I visit), but Dallas is where God has me and I'm loving every minute of it!! :-)

Jen Lewis said...

I also enjoy a lot about Houston and I am so thankful the Lord has me here for this season. But Abby speaks the truth, I miss Dallas! :) However, she is also right about so many wonderful and invaluable people being here. Yea for Houston! It really is quite lovely... Excpet I could do without the rain this Saturday as I am moving... Please pray that the skies would clear... at least from about 10:30-12pm. :)